Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sorry not much new to update. I'll just share one little story that gives me a chuckle when I think about it.... We've been having some issues with Emma eating lunch at school. She eats her treats and drinks her juice box but frequently leaves behind what she's supposed to eat (sandwich, macaroni, etc.) A little while ago I picked up Emma from school and asked her if she had eaten her sandwich. Usually when I ask her this question and she has eaten her sandwich, she'll quickly reply with a "ya". If she hasn't eaten her sandwich, she'll reply with "ummmmm...." This particular day, her answer was "ummmmm....." I was particularly frustrated with this answer because it was a few days in a row that she hadn't eaten her sandwich.

I decided I would sit Emma down at the table when we got home and make her eat her sandwich. I wanted her to know that even though she didn't eat it at school, she still had to eat it. So I had her sit down and went to get the sandwich out of her lunch bag, but alas, it was not in there. I asked her where her sandwich was. "At school" was the reply. I further questioned her....

Mama: In your locker?
Emma: No
Mama: In your desk?
Emma: No
Mama: In the garbage?
Emma: Ya.

This frustrated me even more. I wanted to give her the whole spiel about how there are kids all over the world who would do anything for that sandwich, but I knew that wouldn't get me anywhere. So, I followed up with more questions....

Mama: Why didn't you eat your sandwich?
No reply
Mama: Why didn't you eat your sandwich?
Again no reply
Mama: OK, you're going to sit there until you tell me why you didn't eat your sandwich.

After a few minutes, I returned....

Mama: Why didn't you eat your sandwich?
There was a long pause...
Emma: BECAUSE!!!

Now I understand this a typical kid answer, but I had never heard that word come out of her mouth before. I had to hold in a chuckle and ask her my next question...

Mama: Was throwing your sandwich in the garbage good or bad?
No reply
Mama: Was throwing your sandwich in the garbage good or bad?
Another long pause, and I could see Emma's frustration building.
Mama: Was throwing your sandwich in the garbage good or bad?
Another pause, then Emma let's out a frustrated sigh and....
Emma: I guess bad!

"I guess" is another phrase I'd never heard out of this child's mouth. It's hard to be mad at the kid when she's just so darned cute! I again had to stifle some giggling as I told her "I GUESS it's time for you to stand in the corner!"

It is so totally amazing to me how kid's can just pick that kind of stuff up!! Anyways, that's all for now. I'll try and do a four month update around December 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment